CDS is engaged in cutting-edge research programs in areas relating to computational and data science, computing and data systems, and their applications. The research focus of CDS is broadly classified into Computer Systems and Computational Science, that include data science and engineering, with sub-areas within each:
Computer and Data Systems Stream (CDS-CS)
- Computer Architecture & High Performance Computing
- System on Chip and Embedded Processor Architectures, High Performance Computing, Runtime Reconfigurable System-on-Chip (SoC) architectures, modeling of massively parallel reconfigurable silicon cores, compilation techniques for reconfigurable silicon cores, large scale simulations on massively parallel and distributed SoC architectures, application synthesis on Runtime Reconfigurable SoCs
- Software & Runtime Systems
- Compiler Optimization, Runtime Frameworks, Middleware for Batch Systems, Cloud computing
- Data Management, Analytics & Visualization
- Database Systems, Big Data Analytics & Platforms, Graphics and Visualization, Distributed Data Systems, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing
Computational Science Stream (CDS-CP)
- Scientific Computing
- Computational Mathematics, Computational Electromagnetics, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Computational formulations for Physics, Finite Element Analysis, Mathematical Software/Libraries, Medical Image Computing, Medical Image Processing, Physiological Signal Processing, Quantum Computing, Scientific Computing, Simulation of Multiphase Flows and Structural Biology. Linear algebra, Fast algorithms, computational statistics, Kalman filtering, scattering, homogenization.
Please visit the CDS labs page to learn about labs where research in these areas are carried out. The department is also involved in several sponsored research projects in collaboration with many government and private agencies.