My research is on distributed and scalable data platforms to support Big Data and Internet of Things (IoT) applications on novel computing infrastructure, such as Clouds and Edge devices. I lead the DREAM:Lab - Distributed Research on Emerging Applications and Machines - at CDS. Details of various research activities of the lab is available at the lab webpage↑
A new course on Scalable Systems for Data Science is being offered in the Jan semester starting from 2016 at the CDS department. This is expected to be a 3:1 credit course from Jan 2017. The course covers platforms and tools required for developing algorithms, and programming and analyzing Big Data.
The SE252: Introduction to Cloud Computing (3:1) is occasionally offered as an elective course in the Aug semester. The course covers topics on parallel and distributed computing; IaaS/PaaS/SaaS Clouds; Big Data processing patterns on Clouds; Runtime execution models on Clouds; and Performance evaluation of Cloud applications. A programming project is an essential part of the course, with students provided on public and private Cloud computing resources.
I teach the DS286: Data Structures and Programming (2:1) core course in the Aug semester, sometimes with Prof. Venkatesh Babu.
I co-taught the SE292: High Performance Computing (3:0) core course in the Aug 2014 semester, along with Prof. Govindarajan↑
- IEEE SCALE Challenge. First Place. Adaptive Energy Forecasting and Information Diffusion for Smart Power Grids, Simmhan, et al. (2012)
- Microsoft Ship-It Award. Microsoft Trident Scientific Workflow Workbench, Barga, et al. (2009)
- IEEE/ACM Supercomputing HPC Storage Challenge. First Place. GrayWulf: Scalable Cluster Architecture for Data Intensive Computing, Szalay, et al. (2008)
Recent Refereed Publications (2015 – )
- Introducing Distributed Dynamic Data-intensive (D3) Science: Understanding Applications and Infrastructure, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience , 2016 [To Appear]
- A Meta-graph Approach to Analyze Subgraph-centric Distributed Programming Models, IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data) , 2016 [To Appear]
- Elastic Partition Placement for Non-stationary Graph Algorithms, IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid) , 2016 [Short Paper [Core A]]
- GoDB: From Batch Processing to Distributed Querying over Property Graphs, IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud, and Grid Computing (CCGrid) , 2016 [[Core A]]
- Benchmarking Distributed Stream Processing Platforms for IoT Applications, TPC Technology Conference on Performance Evaluation & Benchmarking (TPCTC) , 2016 [To Appear]
- Holistic Measures for Evaluating Prediction Models in Smart Grids, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) , 27(2), 2015, pp. 475-488 [[IF 2.476, CORE A]]
- Reactive Resource Provisioning Heuristics for Dynamic Dataflows on Cloud Infrastructure, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (TCC) , 3(2), 2015, pp. 105-118
- Towards a Practical Architecture for Internet of Things: An India-centric View, IEEE Internet of Things Newsletter , 2015, pp. 1-2
- Prediction Models for Dynamic Demand Response: Requirements, Challenges, and Insights, IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm) , 2015, pp. 1-6
- Analysis of Subgraph-centric Distributed Shortest Path Algorithm, International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Computing for Large Scale Machine Learning and Big Data Analytics (ParLearning) , 2015, pp. 1185-1190
- Fault-Tolerant and Elastic Streaming MapReduce with Decentralized Coordination, IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS) , 2015, pp. 328 - 338 [[Core A]]
- Characterizing Distributed Stream Processing Systems for IoT Applications, Workshop on Architectural Support and Middleware for InfoSymbiotics/ Dynamic Data Driven Applications Systems (DDDAS), co-located with High Performance Computing Conference (HiPC) , 2015, pp. 1-1 [Extended abstract]
- Distributed Programming over Time-series Graphs, IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) , 2015, pp. 809 - 818 [[Core A]]
- Benchmarking Fast Data Platforms for the Aadhaar Biometric Database, Workshop on Big Data Benchmarking (WBDB) (arxiv:1510.04160), 2015, pp. 1-9, CoRR.
Students and Staff
Full-time IISc Students
- Shilpa Chaturvedi M.Sc.(Research), CDS (2015-present)
- Ravikant Dindokar M.Sc.(Research), CDS (2014 - Present)
- Rajrup Ghosh M.Tech.(CP), CDS (2015 - present)
- Aakash Kochare M.Tech.(Research), CDS (2016 - Present)
- Abhilash Sharma M.Sc.(Research), CDS (2015-present)
- Anshu Shukla M.Sc.(Research), CDS (2014 - Present)
- Prateeksha Varshney M.Sc.(Research), CDS (2015-present)
Staff and Interns
- Jayanth Kalyanasundaram Project Staff (2016 - Present)
- Pushkara Ravindra Project Staff (2016 - Present)
- Diptanshu Kakwani Research Intern, MSRIT (2016 - Present)
- Himanshu Sharma Research Intern, MSRIT (2016 - Present)
- Sarthak Sharma Research Intern, BIT-Mesra (2016 - Present)
- Abdul Shah Research Intern, MSRIT (2016 - Present)
- Anirudh Shekhawat Research Intern, MSRIT (2016 - Present)
- Neel Choudhury M.Tech.(CP), SERC, IISc (Graduated 2015). Joined Bloom Reach.
- Vedsar Kushwaha M.Tech.(CP), SERC, IISc (Graduated 2015). Joined Amazon.
- Tarun Sharma M.Tech.(CP), SERC, IISc (Graduated 2015). Joined nVidia.
Prospective Students & Projects
Applied systems research requires hands-on programming skills to validate research ideas. Students interested in working with my lab should have demonstrated experience with programming and algorithms, preferably in Java, through online coding contest and Hackathons, such as CodeChef, SPOJ, HackerEarth, etc. Knowledge of Big Data platforms like Hadoop/Spark/Storm, Cloud fabrics like OpenStack and experience with Open Source projects will help too.
I welcome Ph.D. and M.Sc. research students at CDS interested in working with me. You are encouraged to view the lab's research activities, review relevant literature and our recent papers, and contact me with specific research areas and problems that you are passionate about.
Projects on state-of-the-art topics on Big Data and Cloud+Edge systems are available for M.Tech. by coursework students. These projects will place an emphasis on innovative research ideas as well as practical grounding through software prototyping and benchmarking on Cloud and distributed clusters. Students will be expected to publish a research paper as a project outcome. Sample projects topics are available from our lab's webpage. If you are interested, send me an email to schedule a meeting by Dec/Jan. Students must take the SE252:Introduction to Cloud Computing Course or SE256:Scalable Systems for Data Science Course as a pre-requisite.
Limited undergraduate summer internships are available to highly motivated students interested in pursuing research as part of their final year project. Students must be able to spend a semester in addition to summer (9-12 months) at IISc. Applications are open on a rolling basis starting the December before the internship term (e.g. Dec 2014 for May-Dec 2015).
Research associate and project staff positions are available in the area of Cloud Computing, Big Data platforms and Internet of Things. The position is for a minimum of 1 year, and offers a chance to work on research projects, collaborate with students, and publish research papers. Applicants should have a Masters' or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science; in exceptional cases, those with just a B.E. or B.Tech. degree in Computer Science will be considered. Demonstrated programming experience, through work on large open source projects, coding challenges (Googe SOCC, CodeChef) or hackathons, is required.
Students interested in applying to IISc should review the admission guidelines for IISc and CDS. IISc offers a world-class research environment, is consistently ranked the best research university in India, by Times Higher Education, ARWU and QS World University Rankings. CDS offers a unique 2-year M.Tech.(Computational and Data Science) program by coursework and project, in addition to research degrees of M.Tech.(Research) and Ph.D. Research students interested in working with me should select the Computer Systems Stream (CDS-CS) and prepare for the interview topics for the DREAM:Lab, as listed in the research admissions brochure. The admission process is highly competitive and requires a GATE exam score for those with a Bachelors' degree, besides onsite interviews.↑
Recent Professional Service
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (2013-Present)
- Editorial Board Member, Services Transactions on Internet of Things (STIOT) (2016-Present)
- Guest Co-Editor Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC) - Special Issue on Scalable Systems for Big Data Management and Analytics (2013-14)
- Guest Editor Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience Journal (CPE) - Special Issue on Cloud Computing for Data-driven Science and Engineering (2012-2015)
- Conferences & Workshops
- Academic-Research Liaison Co-Chair, IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) (2015-2016)
- SCALE Challenge Co-Chair, IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid) (2015)
- Academic Liaison Co-Chair, IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC) (2014-2016)
- General Co-Chair, Indian Symposium on Computer Systems (IndoSys) (2014-2016)
- Workshop Vice-Chair IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) (2014)
- Workshop Co-Chair IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC) (2013)
- General Co-Chair Workshop on Scientific Cloud Computing (ScienceCloud), Co-located with HPDC (2012-2013)
- Doctoral Symposium Co-Chair IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid) (2012-2013)
- Program Committee Member in various years for IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), International Conference on Supercomputing, IEEE International Conference on Big Data (BigData), IEEE International Conference on eScience (eScience), IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS), IEEE High Performance Computing Conference (HiPC), ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), IEEE Cloud Computing for Emerging Markets (CCEM), and ACM India Compute Conference (Compute) among others.
- Member, IEEE Future Directions Initiative on Big Data (2015-)
- Chair, Education & Research Task Force, Cloud Computing Innovation Council of India (CCICI) (2014-2015)
- Invited Expert W3C Provenance Working Group (2011 - 2013)
- Serving/Served on grant review panels for India's DeitY, US NSF, Austrian FWF and Brazilian FAPESP
- Smart Campus Water Management: Closing the IoT Loop from Network to Knowledge, Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) and Robert Bosch Centre for Cyber Physical Systems (RBCCPS).
- City in a Box - A Virtual Environment for Designing & Validating Smart City Deployments, Microsoft Azure for Research Grant.
- NetApp Faculty Fellowship, NetApp Inc. Grant.
- Scheduling Algorithms for Resource-driven VM Provisioning in OpenStack, Tech Mahindra.
- Sustainability at Scale: From Smart Campuses to Smart Cities, Microsoft Azure for Research Grant
- A Solar Dashboard for India, Robert Bosch Centre for Cyber Physical Systems (RBCCPS), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Rainwater Harvesting Solution, Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST)
- Introduction to Cloud Computing Course, Spring 2014, Amazon AWS in Education Grant
- Introduction to Cloud Computing Course, Spring 2014, Microsoft Azure Education Grant
- Startup Grant, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Elastic Analytics for Sustainable Campus Energy Management, Amazon AWS in Education Research Grant
- GoFFish: Graph-Oriented Framework for Foresight and Insight using Scalable Heuristics with V. K. Prasanna and C. Raghavendra, DARPA XDATA Program
- TAPAS: Tunable Algorithms for PERFECT Architectures with V. K. Prasanna and S. Crago, DARPA PERFECT Program
- Smart Grid Regional Demonstration Project: Demand Response with V. K. Prasanna and C. Fern, DOE/LA DWP
- Software Infrastructure for Accelerating Grand Challenge Science with Future Computing Platforms with V. K. Prasanna, D. Bader, M. Parashar, R. Vuduc, S. Jha and J. Riedy, NSF SI2/ACI Conceptualization Award
- Accelerating Graph Analytics on Clouds for Genome Assembly with V. K. Prasanna and S. Swenson, NSF EAGER/CNS Award
- US-India Workshop on Fostering Synergistic Collaborations to Accelerate Big Data Applications with V. K. Prasanna, NSF SAVI/CNS Program
- Toolkit for Provenance Collection, Publishing, and Experience Reuse, with B. Plale and D. Leake. NSF/SDCI Program
- Article in New Indian Express on Rain Water Harvesting app in collaboration with KSCST and UNESCO.
- Paper on benchmarking Aadhaar enrollment application to appear at Workshop on Big Data Benchmarking, 2015
- Paper 'Fault-Tolerant and Elastic Streaming MapReduce with Decentralized Coordination' accepted at IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS)
- Paper 'Distributed Programming on Timeseries Graphs' accepted at IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2015, Hyderabad (acceptance rate: 22%)
- IndoSys pre-conference event held at IPDPS 2015.
- Call for Proposals for Academic BoFs at IEEE HiPC 2015 opens shortly.
- SE252: Introduction to Cloud Computing (3:1) course starts for the Jan 2015 semester. Detail will be posted shortly.
- Invited talk at Challenges and Advances in Big Data Birds-of-a-Feather at IEEE HiPC Conference, Goa, Dec 2014.
- Panellist at Women in Computing Birds-of-a-Feather at IEEE HiPC Conference, Goa, Dec 2014.
- Neel, Tarun and Ravikant from the DREAM:Lab awarded Student Travel Grants to attend IEEE HiPC Conference, Goa, Dec 2014.
- Invited talk on 'Big Data Science: Science using Data and Science of Data' at the IEEE Big Data and Smart Devices Workshop, 20-21 Nov, 2014
- Paper 'GoFFish: A Sub-Graph Centric Framework for Large-Scale Graph Analytics' accepted at EuroPar 2014, Portugal
- 'Towards a Practical Architecture for India-Centric Internet of Things' extended abstract of discussion paper
- Invited talk on 'Fast Data Analytics for the Internet of Things' at the National Workshop on Big Data Analytics (BiDA2014)
- Paper 'Cloudy with a Spot of Opportunity: Analysis of Spot-Priced VMs for Practical Job Scheduling' accepted at IEEE Cloud Computing for Emerging Markets Conference, 2014, Bangalore
- SE292: High Performance Computing (3:0) course starts for the Aug 2014 semester, co-taught with Prof. Govindarajan
- 'Holistic Measures for Evaluating Prediction Models in Smart Grids' accepted in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE)
- Indian Symposium on Computer Systems (IndoSys) held in Bangalore from June 28-29, 2014
- 'PLAStiCC: Predictive Look-Ahead Scheduling for Continuous Dataflows on Clouds' accepted at CCGrid 2014, Chicago
- A posting on Women in Science issues at the IISc campus
- SE252: Introduction to Cloud Computing course starts on Tue Jan 7, 2014, 1130AM-1PM
- Talk on 'Scaling from Big Data to Fast Data: Emerging Challenges from eScience and eEngineering' at COMAD, 2013, Ahmedabad
- 'Cost-efficient and Resilient Job Life-cycle Management on Hybrid Clouds' accepted at IPDPS 2014, Phoenix