- Admissions Website Open 1 Feb, 2020
- Last Date for Application 6 Apr, 2020 (Extended)
- Research Degree Interviews 18-22 May, 2020
- B.E./B. Tech. or equivalent degree in any discipline, or
- M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Electronics, Instrumentation, Computer Science, or
- Master’s in Computer Application or Graduates of 4-year Bachelor of Science programmes (B.S).
- GATE/NET JRF score is required for students with a BE/BTech/B.S/M.Sc./MCA.
- GATE/NET JRF is not required for students with a B.E./B.Tech/B.S. from Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (IIT/IISER/NIT, etc.), with a minimum CGPA of 8.5 out of 10 applying for a Ph.D.
- Students with a B.E./B.Tech/B.S. are eligible to apply for a direct Ph.D. This is encouraged.
- Complete details are at the IISc admissions page.
Research Interview Process
Students who have applied for PhD or MTech(Research) at the CDS department through the IISc Online Admissions website will be shortlisted and called for in-person interviews. The shortlisting emails are expected to go out by the 7 April, 2020.
Research labs at CDS are organized in one of two streams: Computational Science (CD-CP) and Computer and Data systems (CD-CS). Before the interview, candidates must choose up to three labs from these two streams by filling out a preference form. This form will be shared by email with the candidates shortlisted for the interview.
Labs may have specific eligibility criteria that you must satisfy to select them. Specifically, some labs require an undergraduate major in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronics/Communications Engineering, or similar subjects. Some labs may only take PhD students, and some labs may not be taking any students this year. These details will be available shortly in the interview brochure. You may choose any three labs from these two streams taking students, as long as you meet the eligibility for the lab.
The interview at CDS consists of an written aptitude test followed by an oral interview for students who qualify in the written test. There will be a programming component as part of this. The aptitude test is common to all applicants while the oral interview topics are separate for each lab. Details will be provided shortly in the interview brochure.