- Admissions Website Open 1 Feb, 2020
- Last Date for Application 30 Apr, 2020 (Extended)
- Research Degree Interviews 6-10 July, 2020
- B.E./B. Tech. or equivalent degree in any discipline, or
- M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Electronics, Instrumentation, Computer Science, or
- Master’s in Computer Application or Graduates of 4-year Bachelor of Science programmes (B.S).
- GATE/NET JRF score is required for students with a BE/BTech/B.S/M.Sc./MCA.
- GATE/NET JRF is not required for students with a B.E./B.Tech/B.S. from Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (IIT/IISER/NIT, etc.), with a minimum CGPA of 8.5 out of 10 applying for a Ph.D.
- Students with a B.E./B.Tech/B.S. are eligible to apply for a direct Ph.D. This is encouraged.
- Complete details are at the IISc admissions page.
Overview of Interview Process
Candidates shortlisted for the interview will receive an interview call letter email from IISc with the date and the session (forenoon or afternoon) for your interview. You will also receive an email from the CDS department with the time duration for the interview during that session. Students are expected to be available for their entire interview session.
There are two mandatory components during the interview session. At the start of the session, there will be an online objective test on the HackerEarth platform for 45 minutes. This will have multiple choice and programming questions. This will be followed by an oral home interview through video conferencing with a panel of CDS faculty using Microsoft Teams or Google Meet. The home interview will last for up to 45 minutes. The performance of the candidate in both the online test and the home interview will contribute to their overall interview marks. The email from the CDS department will have a link to the online test and to the video conference channel. The syllabus for the test and interview are given below in the brochure.
Important Note to Shortlisted Candidates for the Interview: (Update on July 1st, 2020)
The information below has been emailed by CDS to all the shortlisted applicants:
Congratulations if you have been shortlisted for interview for CDS research admissions 2020 and should have already received the interview call letter from IISc. You are now requested to fill up the “Applicant Information Form” and submit on or before 3rd July, 2020. This form can be accessed here – https://forms.gle/FyT4bhekWcXidwp7A. Note that it is mandatory for every shortlisted candidate to fill up this form before the aforementioned deadline. You must also review the CDS Research Admissions Interview Brochure (see below) thoroughly before completing this form. As a part of this procedure, you should choose up to three labs for which you want to be considered. Details of these labs are mentioned in the brochure.
There are two sessions for interviews scheduled on each day — Forenoon and Afternoon, and you have been called to attend exactly one of these sessions on a specific date for CDS (please check your interview call letter). It is preferable that the candidate be ready for the Forenoon sessions beginning 8:00 AM and ending at 1:00 PM while afternoon session beginning at 1:30 PM and ending at 6:30 PM.
We shall share details on the HackerEarth online test and the usage instructions for the Microsoft Teams-based video interview in a separate follow-up email. We have already emailed you a Microsoft Teams link that you may use to join a test meeting this Thursday (2nd July) between 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM and make yourself familiarised with the video conferencing platform.
Please carefully read the Admissions Interview Brochure below for complete details. (Last updated 28 June, 2020)