The Department of Computational and Data Sciences (CDS), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India is inviting applications for full-time tenure track faculty positions at all levels (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor).
CDS is an interdisciplinary engineering department spanning the research areas of Computational Science and Engineering, and Data Sciences. Computational science deals with computational methods, related mathematics and algorithms, and the design of high performance and scalable systems to support scientific and engineering applications. Data Science explores models, algorithms and scalable systems to extract knowledge and insight from both structured and unstructured data of various scales. CDS invites applications in all areas of computational and data sciences that lie at the intersection of methods, systems and applications, specifically in the following topics.
- Computational Mathematics and its Applications to Science and Engineering – All areas, especially in emerging areas and in areas that complement the specialization of the current faculty
- Data science and its Applications–All areas including analytics, assimilation, visualization, knowledge extraction and representation, statistics at scale, programming models and platforms.
- Scalable Systems for Computation and Data Sciences – emerging hardware architectures and software systems
CDS welcomes rolling applications, round-the-year, from Indian nationals (including Persons of Indian Origins (PIOs) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs)) who are exceptionally motivated, with an established record of independent, high quality research, and a commitment to teaching. The department expects the candidates to have published in top-ranking fora in their areas of expertise. For an Assistant Professor position, the prospective candidates must have a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral research experience (relaxable in exceptional cases) and be preferably below 35 years of age. Applicants for senior positions, in addition to a PhD degree, must be leaders with outstanding contributions in their area of research and a proven track-record of advising doctoral students.
Women candidates and applicants belonging to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes are especially encouraged to apply.
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is the premier graduate teaching and research institution in India, and is highly ranked on global metrics. Established over a century ago and located in the vibrant technology capital of Bangalore, IISc is renowned for its academic freedom. Its focus on research excellence, quality of students and faculty, and leadership in national and international initiatives, are widely recognized. At a broad level, it operates in a very similar manner to the premier international research schools, with both faculty hiring and promotions based on rigorous assessment from leading international experts in the area. Similarly, student selection is based on highly-competitive examinations (such as GATE) and detailed technical interviews.
CDS fully internalizes this creative academic ambience, and enriches it with a variety of unique facets. Interdisciplinary and collaborative research is strongly encouraged and supported, as is reflected in the current CDS faculty profiles. A variety of labs are operational, and new faculty are encouraged to start labs in their focus areas. CDS provides adequate lab space for meeting the need of individual faculty requirements. Also, exceptional computational infrastructure available at the Institute’s supercomputing centre (SERC), featuring the top-of-the-line hardware and software, allows for cutting-edge research in high-performance computing. Finally, the department is hosted in an aesthetically-pleasing spacious building with all modern amenities including ubiquitous wireless connectivity.
In a nutshell, CDS provides an environment in which committed researchers routinely turn their academic dreams into reality. Several national-level initiatives have been seeded and grown here. Further, for many top international research conferences and journals, publications from CDS represent the very first time that research from India has been featured in those fora.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants have to log in to https://recruitment.iisc.ac.in/frp/ to fill the online application form. The following documents are required (in PDF format) to be uploaded along with the application form, as indicated in the portal.
- A complete CV, including names and contact information for at least three references who are leading experts in the area and familiar with the candidate’s technical contributions. (In the CV, please separate the publications into refereed journal papers, refereed conference papers, book chapters and invited articles; and include, for the conference papers, where available, the number of submissions to the conference and the number accepted.)
- A two-page summary of the prior/significant research contributions
- A two-page summary of the future research plans. The research plan should also include the laboratory space requirement, and equipment along with the estimated cost (including any cost for laboratory preparation).
- A one-page summary of the teaching plans, specifically mentioning how it would fit in with the Computational and Data Science M.Tech. program run by CDS.
- Reprints of up to 5 important publications of the applicant
- Caste and/or Disability Certificate from the competent authority, as applicable
- Any other relevant information the applicant may like to furnish.
- Foreign Nationals who are “Persons of Indian Origin” (PIO) or Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) can also apply. If selected, permission will be sought from Govt. of India before he/she can join the Institute.
- For other Foreign Nationals, if selected, the appointment will be on a contract basis for up to 5 years subject to permission from the Govt. of India before he/she can join the Institute. Extension beyond 5 years will be subject to a review process.
- The Institute reserves the right to screen and call only such candidates for an interview as are found suitable. Thus, just fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria would not entitle one to be called for interview.
- Travel expenses for attending the interview from any point within India will be reimbursable as per the Institute norms.
- The candidate is responsible for the correctness of the information provided in the application. If it is found at a later date that any information given in the application is incorrect or false, the candidature/appointment is liable to be cancelled/terminated.
- Candidates are encouraged to contact the chair of their preferred department/s for additional information.
Note to candidates who are currently abroad: Please submit your application at least 15 days prior to your next India visit.
Informal enquiries can be made to: chair.cds#iisc.ac.in (replace # with @)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Approximate monthly compensation at the minimum of the scale of pay for different faculty levels are shown below. Actual salary will depend on current pay regulations.
|Post||Scale of Pay||Total Pay without House Rent Allowance||Total Pay with House Rent Allowance (expected)|
|Assistant Professor||Pay Matix 12 : Rs. 101500 + 7% DA and Transport Allowance Rs. 7200 + 7% as on Jan 2018||Rs. 1,16,309||Rs. 1,40,669|
|Associate Professor||Pay Matix 13A2: Rs. 139600 + 7% DA and Transport Allowance Rs. 7200 + 7% as on Jan 2018||Rs.1,57,076||Rs.1,90,580|
|Professor||Pay Matix 14A: Rs. 159100 + 7% DA and Transport Allowance Rs. 7200 + 7% as on Jan 2018||Rs.1,77,941||Rs. 2,16,125|
A partial list of benefits available to all faculty is presented below:
- Fully funded graduate students (both Masters and Ph.D.) from the Institute.
- Minimal teaching load (typical load is 1.5 courses per year, sharing of one core course for the M.Tech. (Computational Science) program and one elective course proposed by the candidate)
- Relocation expenses are covered up to institute-specified limits. This is currently Rs. 1,25,000 for relocating from within India and Rs. 2,50,000 for relocating from abroad (expenses of candidates and their dependents are covered under this).
- A healthy start-up research grant (usually around Rs. 45-50 lakhs)
- Fully paid summer vacation of three months (May-July) after the initial probation year to take up any collaboration visits
- One year sabbatical leave (with full pay for first six months and partial pay for next six months) for six consecutive years of service
- An annual contingency grant from the Institute for books, travel support (this is currently Rs. 3 Lakhs for a sliding period of three years) for attending International/national Conferences. This is typically supplemented by travel support from industry partners and government agencies.
- Annual share of departmental working expenses for augmentation of infrastructure of individual labs, such as furniture, air conditioning, etc.
- Reimbursement of a part of the expenses on personal telephone/mobile/broadband, loan for purchase of computers, etc., are available.
- The faculty and their families are covered by an attractive Contributory Health services Scheme, upto 10 Lakhs per year per family with additional contribution.
- To the new faculty, modest on-campus accommodation is also provided.
- Leave Travel Concession (LTC) for whole family every year for initial block period (four years) and three years in every subsequent block period.
- Children Education Allowance upto Rs. 18,000 per year, Subsidy for Single Girl/differently able Children, are also available.
The selection procedure is at two levels (Department and Institute) and each level requires typically 2 months of time for processing.
The faculty recruitment committee initially reviews your application along with the chairperson of the department, if found suitable, will recommend to the faculty of the department. The department faculty will have discussion about inviting the candidate to visit the department. Following which, the faculty recruitment committee invites the deserving candidate to visit the department. The candidate is expected to spend atleast one full day visiting the department, giving a prospective faculty seminar, interacting with faculty members. Subsequent to this visit, for successful cases, the department makes a recommendation to the director via chair of interdisciplinary research division.
Subsequent to recommendation to the director, the director will set up selection committee interview at a suitable date. For assistant professor position, the typical composition of selection committee will be Director, two external subject experts, divisional chair, department chair, and one department expert with Registrar being secretary. For higher levels, the selection committee will have atleast two other members in addition to the above as per the institute regulations. Candidates that are currently residing in India will be required to attend this interview in person and others can attend this via video-conference or skype.
Based on the recommendation of the selection committee, the governing council of IISc, through the Registrar of IISc, will make an offer to the successful candidates. Note that the governing council meets once in three months (typically second weeks of March, June, September, and December) and requires selection committee recommendation to reach them atleast one month before. Typically the candidate is given 3-4 months of time to join the department. An extension on the joining date can be given subjected to approval of the director for deserving cases.