Sponsorship Opportunities at CDS
The Department of Computational and Data Sciences (CDS) is a new interdisciplinary engineering department formed in December, 2015 at the Indian Institute of Science. It is also the first of its kind among the top universities in India. Its expertise lies at the intersection of methods, scalable systems and applications of computational and data-driven science and engineering. Faculty at CDS work in the areas of Computational mathematics, Computational methods for science and engineering, Deep learning, Big Data platforms, and High performance and Cloud computing. CDS offers Ph.D. and M.Tech. research degree programs, and a 2 year M.Tech course program.
As a young and growing department in an emerging discipline, CDS welcomes sponsorship opportunities from industry and philanthropists. These will support the academic and research activities of the department in various ways, including: attracting quality faculty with global recognition, encouraging stronger emphasis on areas of mutual technical interest, catalysing activities for sustained collaboration, and training the future workforce in the critical areas of computational science and data science.
Specific opportunities for named sponsorships are listed below. In addition, we also invite other forms of faculty and student grants, research and travel grants, soft-grants of computing and software resource, and traditional funding of consultancy with individual faculty of CDS. You may contact Prof. Phaneendra Yalavarthy, Chair of the CDS department, for more details.
- Student Scholarship: This named student scholarship supports the stipend and overheads for a single M.Tech. course or research student for a period of 2 years. The student will spend 1 summer (3 months in May-July) with the sponsoring company working on technical topics that may eventually feed into their project or thesis topic. This is an annual sponsorship for each admissions cycle, and a minimum of two students should be supported. Sponsorship: Rs.20,00,000, for 2 students over 2 years.
- Women in Science and Engineering Scholarship: This is similar to the M.Tech. student scholarship above but supports the recruitment of female students into computational and data sciences to enhance the diversity of the program. Sponsorship: Rs.10,00,000, for 1 student over 2 years.
- Post-doctoral Fellowship: This named post-doctoral fellowship will help recruit and competitively pay for a post-doc researcher for 2 years to work on a research area of mutual interest to a CDS faculty and the sponsor. Sponsorship: Rs.25,00,000, per fellow for 2 years.
- Degree Medal: This named medal recognizes the best performing graduating student each year, based on academics and/or research outcomes. This can be awarded specifically for Computational science, Computer and Data Systems, or across both. Students receive a medal and a cash award. Sponsorship: Rs.5,00,000, one-time.
- Travel Fund: Attending international technical conferences is a part of a student’s research activity and academic growth. This named travel fund will support the registration and travel of CDS students to reputed conferences where they have papers accepted. Focus areas for the relevant conferences may optionally be specified by the sponsor. Sponsorship: Rs.30,00,000, one-time.
- Infrastructure Fund: Funds for purchase of large infrastructure and computing equipment, like commodity/ HPC/storage clusters, accelerators, and lab workstations to support teaching and research are invited. In-kind contribution of major equipment are welcome as well. Sponsorship: Rs.40,00,000+, one-time.
- Annual Distinguished Lecture: This fund will help support the travel, stay and honorarium for a distinguished international scientist on computational or data sciences to deliver an annual named lecture, and interact with the CDS members and the sponsor during their visit. Sponsorship: Rs.60,00,000, one-time.
- Faculty Chairships: This named chairship will help attract new faculty or support existing faculty on specific research areas of interest to the sponsor by providing a top-up salary or research funds that make CDS globally competitive on compensation. The chairship will be for a 2-3 year period. One-time sponsorship amounts for these perpetual named-chairships, depending on the recruitment level, are:
- Young Investigator (Assistant Professor, 2 years): 1,05,00,000
- Mid-level Chair (Associate Professor, 3 years): 2,10,00,000
- Distinguished Chair (Full Professor, 3 years): 4,20,00,000
Note: The Institute will seek council approval before making these effective. All amounts have to be paid upfront.