- I am a student with a non-computer science background. How do programs at CDS fit me?
A student with a keen interest in any conventional area of science/engineering can enhance their knowledge/skills in their area of interest (refer to the research areas of the faculty). Knowledge of the common mathematical and statistical methods applied across many disciplines can be very helpful to diversify your areas of expertise significantly; it is a unique feature of this program. In addition it helps you develop the scientific computing and programming skills essential for modeling, simulation and design in any typical application.
- I am a student with a background in computer science and programming. Can this program benefit me?
This program enables you to enhance your existing skills and apply them to a wider variety of compute and data intensive problems. Thus you will not only know ‘how to’ use your skills, but also ‘where to’, and to solve them at large scales. In addition it provides a solid background on programming advanced computer systems like HPC clusters, and Clouds, and computational and data science methods, that are applied in nearly all areas of engineering and sciences.
- What are the eligibility criteria and procedures followed for the M.Tech (CDS), M.Tech. (Research) and Ph.D programs?
The eligibility criteria for the M.Tech course program is here, admission procedure is here. For the M.Tech. (Research) and Ph.D research programs the criteria is listed here, and admission procedure is listed here.
- I wish to know about how to get into IISc and has some questions, what shall I do?
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section of IISc admissions site, it has all required details.
- What is the academic curriculum followed for the programs?
The curriculum for the M.Tech (CDS), M.Tech (Research) and Ph.D. programs are here.
- Does SERC also offer admission for students?
The Department of Computational and Data Sciences (CDS) is formed out of the academic wing of SERC in December 2015. All academic/research programs of SERC have been placed under CDS. So SERC does not offer any admissions for students.
- What is the difference between M.Tech (Computational and Data Science) and M.Tech. (Research) courses?
M.Tech.(research) is a thesis based degree program with a strong research component (it was earlier known as M.Sc. (Engg.) program), where as M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) is a degree program that is by course work with a project dissertation. Note also that M.Tech. (Research) is offered in two streams at CDS, Computational Science (CD-CP) and Computer & Data Systems (CD-CS). The duration of M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) is strictly 2 years. The duration of M.Tech. (research) is between 1-3 years with average duration being 2.5 years.
- I have completed (or about to complete) B.E./B.Tech. degree, Can I apply to both M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) and M.Tech. (Research) programs?
Yes, provided you are having the valid GATE scores. Note that for getting admitted into M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) GATE eligibility is mandatory. Also, the GATE cutoff’s for these programs vary, please check for earlier year used cutoffs (web). Please see the answer to next question as well for GATE qualification for M.Tech. (Research) programs.
- I do not have GATE score, can I still apply to CDS research (Ph.D./M.Tech. (Research)) programs?
If your basic qualification is M.Tech., then you do not need to have GATE score for applying to the Ph.D. programs. Also, students who have a Bachelors’ degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI) with a GPA of 8.0 or above (out of 10) do not need a GATE score. Check for all cases where the GATE is only desirable under eligibility of research programs of IISc.
- I am a B.Tech. Student, can I apply to Ph.D. programs that are offered at CDS?
Note that CDS has two streams of admissions,computational science (CD-CP) and computer & data systems (CD-CS). Both are two separate streams to be applied for among the three options of departments you can choose, while filling in the application. The eligibility of Ph.D. program is here .
- What is the GATE cutoff for CDS research/M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) Programs?
It depends on the year of admissions. The GATE cutoff used in the previous admission cycle are typically put up on the web along with the eligibility by the admission section. You can also get them by contacting the Assistant Registrar, Academic section (contact details are here)
- The application deadline is March 24, but the GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST results will be announced later than March 24, so what should I do?
You will have an option to update the national test (GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST) results later than March 24. So please apply before March 24 and as soon as the national test (GATE/CSIR-UGC-NET/JEST) results are announced, log-in to the admission site to update the results. The exact deadlines for updating the national test results are here.
- I have been called for M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) written test, how many days should I plan my travel?
Please plan for minimum of 2 days stay in Bangalore. The M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) written test will be held on the first day. If you are successful in it, the oral interview will be held on the next day. Note that there is a pre-interview familiarisation program the department runs to give details about the program and also interact with faculty. Check those dates at CDS website and it is advisable that you attend it.
- How are the admission brochures that are posted on the CDS website are helpful for the prospective students?
The admission brochures is for those people who have been shortlisted (called for written test/component/interview) for the department selection to describe the process followed at the department. The shortlisting for department selection is based on the academic records and/or GATE/national test score/rank.
- I missed applying for admissions cycle Aug-Dec term, can I still attend interviews?
Only those candidates, who have applied and received call letters for interviews can attend the same.
- I have applied for CDS-Computational Science (CD-CP) program by mistake and I got a interview call letter for the same. Can I attend CDS-Computer and Data Systems (CD-CS) interviews?
No. Both streams CD-CP and CD-CS have different admission criterions. You need a permission from the admission section for shifting from CD-CP to CD-CS (contact details are here)
- I have some difficulty in filling in the on-line application (or) found that the application form is not allowing me to choose CDS despite of having eligibility criterion, whom should I contact?
Please contact Assistant Registrar (Academic), Admissions Unit; contact details are here.
- When will you start accepting applications for the M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs of the department. Is there a last date?
The details are here.
- I am a working professional, do you have any part-time programs?
The only part-time program currently CDS is hosting is Ph.D. (ERP). The details can be found here. Under this, the students need to apply for one of the two streams of research admissions: computational science (CD-CP) and computer & data systems (CD-CS).
- I still have questions regarding admissions/degree programs at CDS, whom shall I contact?
Please refer to to the Frequently Asked Questions section of IISc admissions site. Still you have questions, please contact the Chair (e-mail: chair # cds.iisc.ac.in, replace # with @).