M.Tech. (Computational & Data Science) Admissions, 2022
- Applications Opening: 15 Feb, 2022 (Online at http://www.iisc.ac.in/admissions/)
- Application Deadline: 15 Mar, 2022 (Online at http://www.iisc.ac.in/admissions/)
- Students shortlisted for online aptitude test and oral interviews: 1 Apr, 2022
- GATE score will be used to shortlist students who will appear for the online test and interview
- Pre-interview Familiarisation/orientation towards MTech (CDS): Optional session.
- Time: 12 Apr 2022 (6:00 PM – 7:00 PM)
- Venue: Online, Microsoft Teams (Link emailed to all the candidates)
- Online Written Test: 15 Apr 2022 (Begin your test between 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM). The online test will be for a duration of 90 minutes using HackerEarth platform. Further details about the test will be sent by email only to shortlisted candidates by 11 Apr, 2022.
- Oral Interview: 18 – 22 Apr, 2022 (In-person interviews in IISc Campus).
- Note that all students who have already been called for in-person oral interviews need to appear for the Online Written Test on 15 Apr, 2022.
- GATE qualification exam score will carry 70% weightage, whereas the Online Written Test and Oral Interview will together carry 30% weightage. Attempting both the Written Test and Oral Interview is mandatory for you to be considered in the selection process.
- If you have also applied to other departments at IISc and they are conducting admissions tests/interviews, you may receive separate emails from those departments if you were shortlisted for their programs. Each online written test is valid only for that specific department and degree program admission.
- NOTE: Official admission offers for the MTech (CDS) course degree by IISc and the acceptance of the same by the student will be done through the Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP) (https://coap.iitd.ac.in). Make sure to register on the COAP portal and check the status after the interviews are completed. The applicant must login to the COAP portal to accept the offer from IISc.
About the M.Tech. (CDS) Program
Computational Science and Data Science are interdisciplinary areas that bring together the domain‐specific knowledge of science and engineering with relevant areas of computing systems and formal foundations. While computational science investigates scientific computing applications that require mathematical techniques and parallel computing, data science explores data-intensive applications that use scalable statistical and machine learning methods with Big Data and Cloud platforms.
The M.Tech. (Computational & Data Science) degree at CDS is designed as a course and project based program to be completed in 24 months. Students will take 36 credits of coursework over 2-3 semesters. Courses are divided into hard core courses (14 credits), soft core (10 credits), and electives (12 credits). Students will also complete a dissertation project worth 28 credits over a 12 month period. These impart foundational and scalable systems skills for computational and data sciences, with advanced courses selected by students to allow specialization on methods, platforms, and applications. More details are at http://cds.iisc.ac.in/academics/mtechcds/.
The M.Tech. (CDS) Admission Process
- Candidates who wish to apply to the M.Tech. (Computational and Data Science) the program should do so through the IISc Admissions website: http://www.iisc.ac.in/admissions/.
- Students with a BE / B Tech or equivalent degree in any discipline (with a valid GATE) or M Sc or equivalent degree in any discipline (with a valid GATE) are eligible to apply. Eligible GATE papers are: AE/BT/CE/CH/CS/EC/EE/IN/ MA/ME/MT/PH/ST. In all cases, a strong mathematical and programming background is required.
- Details for the program are listed at https://iisc.ac.in/admissions/m-tech-m-des under “Computational and Data Science (CP)” section.
- Based on the application, the department will short‐list students and notify them to appear online for a written Test and an in-person Oral Interview. The written test and an in-person oral interview are mandatory for all the short-listed students..
- The written test will be conducted online using the HackerEarth platform on 15 Apr, 2022. The candidate should begin the test between 9 AM – 9:30 AM and the test will be for a duration of 90 mins. Candidates can take the written test remotely from their home or at a convenient location with a stable internet connection. Candidates should have a laptop with internet and a webcam during the online written test. More details about the written test will be sent to shortlisted candidates from CDS Department by 11 Apr, 2022.
- The syllabus for the Online Aptitude Test and the oral interview will be from:
- Foundations: Linear Algebra/Matrices, Probability, and Combinatorics at the undergraduate engineering mathematics level, in addition to basic Calculus and Geometry.
- Programming: Data Structures (arrays, matrices, etc.), and Basic Programming.
- The Online Written Test will test the mathematical foundations of the students, and programming using a high level-language like C/C++/Java/Python (student’s choice). Expect about five multiple-choice questions and two programming questions in the exam. Sample questions are available here (Python will be available as a programming language choice even though the sample doesn’t include it). The HackerEarth interface will allow you to type the program, compile it and run test cases, all within the browser. We will provide the basic code template for reading and writing the inputs and outputs for each problem.
- All applicants who appear for the online written test should also appear for the in-person oral interview.
- The in-person oral interview is from 18 Apr, 2022, through 22 Apr, 2022. Details of the in-person interview are already emailed to the candidates by IISc admissions unit. These in-person interviews will evaluate your ability to think and solve problems interactively using pen and paper/blackboard. Candidates should bring a valid photo-ID with them for identity verification. Students will also be tested on core subjects and projects from their undergraduate. For e.g., Algorithms for a Computer Science student, or Fluid/Solid Mechanics for a Mechanical Engineering student. The typical duration of the Oral Interview will be 15-20 minutes.
For any queries/questions about admissions, please contact: chair.cds#iisc.ac.in (replace # with @)
Last updated on April 4, 2022