Data Science Symposium
24-25 February, 2017 | Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
The Department of Computational and Data Sciences (CDS) at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore is organizing a 2-day Data Science Symposium on Feb 24 and 25, 2017 at the IISc campus. The goal of the workshop is to inform students interested in post-graduate research studies (Ph.D. & M.Tech.) of the importance of Data Science, including world-wide research opportunities, industry collaborations, and societal impact. The symposium will feature talks by faculty and industry experts on data science research and practise. Students will also get guided tours of the research labs and the IISc campus. Attendees will have the opportunity to interact with research scholars at CDS. An orientation session on the 2017 admissions process for CDS and IISc will also be provided.
Eligibility & Application
- Final Year students enrolled in B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech./ M.S. or equivalent programs in Computer Science/IT, Electronics & Communication, Electrical Engg. or Statistics
- GPA of over 75% until the last completed semester
- Bachelors students must have a GATE score, or plan to take the GATE exam in 2017 (Exempt for students from IIT, NIT, ISI & Centrally Funded Technical Institutes, & Masters Students)
- There are limited seats for the symposium. Preference is given to students serious about applying to the Ph.D. or M.Tech. (Research) degree programs at CDS, IISc in 2017.
- Applicants are selected based on academic record, aptitude for research, and technical accomplishments.
- We strongly encourage students of diversity, including reserved and women candidates, to apply.
Application Website: Proceed to Fill & Submit Form (Deadline 31 Jan, 2017)
- Application Deadline: 31 Jan, 2017
- Notification of Selection: 7 Feb, 2017
- Symposium Dates: 24-25 Feb, 2017
Students from outside Bangalore will be offered partial travel support. On-campus accommodation will be provided to limited students, based on need & availability.
Programme & Speakers
- Research Talks by faculty on topics like Deep Learning, Video Analytics, Natural Language Processing, Fast Algorithms, Big Data Platforms & Cloud Computing. IISc speakers include:
- Expert Talks from industry on practical uses of data science for Machine Learning, Big Data Storage Systems and Pattern Recognition. Confirmed speakers include:
- Live Demos, Tours of Research Labs and IISc Campus
- Interaction with Research Students at CDS
- Admissions, Fellowships & Grants at CDS for 2017 Academic cycle
- Career Options for Data Science Research Graduates
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Data Science
Data Science is an inter-disciplinary field that uses mathematical, algorithmic & distributed systems techniques to extract useful knowledge and insights from massive quantities of data. Such complex analysis can help search through knowledge graphs, manage traffic using video analytics, or improve our understanding of the human brain. Scalability is a key facet of data science.
About IISc & CDS
IISc is the premier post-graduate university in India, and the only one to appear in the Time Higher Education Top 100 World University Rankings. Housed at the sylvan IISc campus in Bangalore, CDS offers one of the first data science programs in the country. CDS faculty work on cutting-edge applied research, and our graduates are placed at leading academic and industry labs globally.